Easy Three Ingredient Oven Roasted Tomatoes- A roast in the oven makes tomatoes super tender and intensely concentrated. Great as a vegan side dish, or with pasta, bruschetta, pizza, or anywhere you would want tomato flavor!
I always referred to these simple oven roasted tomatoes as "tomato candy". Both Chris and I kept them as a standard pantry item in our professional kitchens, as they have so many uses, both as an ingredient to cook with, or just as is.
The concentrated flavor of these little jewels is like pure tomato. sweet, tart, and a little bit of roast goodness from the caramelized bits that touch the hot pan. Removing the skins after they have cooled is as simple as pinching and lifting them away!
Many of the recipes that we share here are somewhat complex, and our goal is to simplify what seems daunting on the surface. Not the case here, instead this is a way to create a very simple item that can be used to great effect.
I love to keep some of these oven roasted tomatoes in the freezer to add a deep, sweet taste to many recipes, and marinating them in olive oil, fresh, (and/or dry), herbs, and garlic makes a lovely treat with hummus, bruschetta, or a garnish for an antipasto tray.
- Roma tomatoes - you can use really any tomatoes for this recipe, (see the cherry tomato version here), but romas have a lot of meat to water ratio, so that's what we're using.
- Black pepper - keeping it very simple here, freshly ground.
- Olive oil - since this is a slow roast, extra virgin and fruity is best.
Step One - Cutting
Make sure to find plump, red roma tomatoes.
Cut the stem ends off and slice in half, (you can cut quarters also, just adjust the cooking time to about 45 minutes).
Step Two - Seasoning
Drizzle your oil into a mixing bowl with the halves.
Season and toss with black pepper. we chose to show this as simply as possible, to open this up as a more versatile component for dishes. It would be at this step that you could add herbs, (tarragon, basil, oregano, just about anything), salt, vinegar. We don't suggest garlic, as it can be over powering added here.
Step Three - Cooking
Place the halves face down on the sheet pan to maximize moisture release, skin shrinkage, and caramelization.
Who says wrinkles aren't attractive?!
You can make a number of different versions of this recipe:
- Salt - add a touch of salt to help remove more water and further cure them. I do this when I know that I'm going to be serving them "as is".
- Herbs - tossing the tomatoes in some herbs infuses the essential oils right into them.
- Higher heat - concentrate the flavors even further and create a chewier texture by cooking them for a while at 400 or 425. they will get done more quickly also.
Easy Three Ingredient Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Chef Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Sheet pan
- 6 each large roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp. black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- cut the stem end off of the tomatoes
- slice in half lengthwise
- in mixing bowl, toss tomato halves with oil and pepper
- heat oven to 350
- place tomatoes on the sheet pan, cut side down
- place pan on middle rack of oven
- cook for one hour
- remove from oven and allow to cool